Sunday, 22 January 2012

Move Over Lord Sugar!

Well hello my darlings. It's me, Yummy Mammy! Bet you thought I'd just vanished or disconnected my internet connection. Well no,I'm breaking the Silent Sunday thing to have a little update.

So how are we all? Good I hope. Now you want to know what the hell I've been doing. Deep breath, brew and fag time, because I've been up to an awful lot.

First, small child. Unfortunately she's still in Ireland with Batman (big sad face) but on the positive, she's doing ok, Batman is actually friendly to me these days, he even apologised for being so horrible for so long (THUD! Yes I too fell off the chair at that one), and she comes to visit loads, which is great because it means now that I get all the nice bits and the nice child, and he gets the daily rubbish of dealing with a pre teen that likes getting her own way.

Next, The Foreign One. Well he still isn't for going away. All very bizarre indeed considering that his supposed other half knows about me. I've refrained from doing the get down and dirty stuff with him, which in some ways I think is worse. If it was all just about sex then you'd just call him a wandering bloke, but this seems to be more of a caring sharing kind of thing. I know it's wrong, but I do like the company and I suppose the getting caught thing is his problem. I could just change my number and email to get rid of him, but I don't think that would get rid of him. As for that poor girl, well, if turning a blind eye works for her then it's pretty certain to all blow up and end in tears some day. We shall just wait for that day to arrive. And besides, I don't have the time these days to sort out my non existent love life.

Which brings me on to my next point. I'm too busy because I quit my horrible day job and I've now started my own business! I'm a fully fledged business owner! More shock hey.

One dark and horrible day in work, well ok that was every day, but this particular one I just decided that I'd had enough. I couldn't stand the bullying and back stabbing anymore, and I handed in my notice. Yep, just like that, with no job to go to. Brave or stupid, either way I had to do something really quick. And I did.

I've always had a huge interest in girlie, pretty, beauty things so I thought what better way to combine my love of all things pretty with my own business. So in the middle of a massive recession, economic downturn and retailers dropping like flies, I decided to open my own shop, selling all things pretty and beauty like. Thus confirming that I am actually stark raving mad. Who in their right mind would open up as an independent retailer in the current economic climate? Yes, that mad person would be me.

But you know what, I love it. Some days are good and some days are bad. Some days I'm rushed off my feet and some days it's dead. But on the whole things are going ok. Could do better, but hey, I'm sure a lot of small businesses would be happy with ok and ticking over at the moment. January is a crap month for everyone so to hold your own during a quiet time I suppose is good going. And I've lots of great things on the horizon. I've put a little clue in the picture above as to what it is I do, and no, before you ask, it's not a real cake.

I do seem to spend a lot of time now reading trade publications and watching the news of retailers going bust and what can be done to boost the economy. I don't do online sales, mainly due to costs involved, but what I have noticed is that consumers have a huge lack of choice on the high street. It's no wonder that many are going bust given that what they offer is rubbish. I probably do ok because I have a unique product that isn't sold in every shop in town and it's at an affordable price. But when I look at the other high street shops around me I can kind of understand why people aren't shopping in their town centres much anymore. It's a great shame, and it probably will only get worse for many retailers. God love poor Mary Portas who makes some fantastic comments and generates great ideas, but unfortunately she's battling landlords, councils and consumer confidence. So for my part, please love and support your local independents and buy UK handmades!

Ok, economics for the day over. I'll do my brownie guide promise now and do my best to blog more and actually do a few more interesting things to get you all hooked on my latest goings on. But for now, I've got the books and ordering to do and come up with a plan for some marketing stuff. It's all glamour and sparkle at the rough end of owning your own business. So move over Lord Suagr, Yummy Mammy is on the up!

1 comment: